To capture women’s voices and lived realities worldwide and to bring feminist analysis to emerging global trends, BFW (BRICS Feminist Watch) in partnership with WIDE+, AIDOS, Focus on the Global South and its members Gen Dev, Inequality Movement, Espaço Feminista, and PWESCR will host a two part online seminar series on the Impact of the war by Russia against Ukraine on Women Globally.
The two-part series aims to bring together women’s lived realities and feminist analysis around the world in context of the war in Europe and an increasing militarism worldwide. The events will be a space to raise concerns from diverse perspectives and to build feminist solidarity against the war and disturbing emerging global trends.
Information about the speakers will follow. Read or Download here, the Concept note.
Online seminar: ” The impact of the war in Ukraine on Women Globally: Part 1, Experiences from Europe”
2.30-4.00 PM CEST, 6 September 2022
Translation in Spanish, Portuguese and Russian will be available.
This is the first part of this online seminar series which will have diverse women’s voices, especially from Europe and the global North, to share their experiences.
Speakers from Ukraine and Russia (for safety reasons names are withheld)
Moderated by Evgenia Ivanova, WIDE+, with discussant: Edmé Dominguez WIDE+ and GADIP
Among others with: Olena Kayinska. She is an artist based in Lviv, Ukraine. She works with naїve or pure art techniques, paired together with deep philosophical and psychological senses. Her research areas are finding of inner peace, post-trauma recovery, human inborn kindness, and love as the driving force of Universe. Her paintings-dreams take the observers inside, to the subconscious, to the core. Trying to find the inner self, the observer wanders through the imaginary world, fantastic forests, filled with symbolic images and archetypical symbols, inhabited with mysterious creatures, each of which provides a guide to the final destination – our heart. Her aim is to make people happier.
She participated in 50+ exhibitions, contemporary art festivals and art residencies, and exhibited 3 personal projects. Her paintings are kept in museum funds and private collections in Ukraine, Germany, United States, and Turkey: https://en.olena-kayinska.com/.
Online seminar: “The impact of the war in Ukraine on Women Globally: Part 2, Women’s voices and analysis from the global South”
2.30-4.00 PM CEST, 8 September 2022
Translation in Spanish and Portuguese will be available.
This is the second part of this online seminar series, which will focus particularly on voices, experiences and analysis of women and girls from the global South. With as speakers:
- Shreen Saroor, Sri Lanka
- Funeka Yazini April, South Africa
- Fabiana Furtada, Brazil
- Yu Xiaogang, China
- Hala Barakat, Egypt
Discussants: Mariama Williams, Jamaica and Anuradha Chenoy, India
Moderated by: Salmali Guttal, India and Priti Darooka, India
The two-part webinar will explore the following questions:
1. What are the impacts of the war in Ukraine war women and girls globally?
2. How do women’s/feminist agendas get affected in Russia and in Ukraine and other countries in the region?
3. How has the energy, food and vaccine crisis impact women and girls globally?
4. How is war impacting global trends and political economy? There is an increase of militarism, and military budgets. There also is a rise of the populist extreme right in Europe. A rise in xenophobia, anti-gender attitudes and a questioning of EU’s sanctions vs Russia. What are the impacts of these trends on women and girls?
5. Sanctions vs Russia and its implications in Europe and elsewhere in the world.
6. What is the role of global blocs such as G20, G7 and BRICS in such crisis and in highly polarised world?
7. What is the way forward and how to build solidarity among feminists globally?
Expected Outcome from Two Phases of Webinars:
1. The comprehensive report/ blog from the insights of both webinars.
2. One joint feminist statement in solidarity.