Recent Resources (from 2015 up to now) can be found at our working group page: https://wideplus.org/get-involved/wg-gender-and-trade/
A selection of key position papers:
- Read here the Input WO=MEN Dutch Gender Platform into EU Trade Policy Consultation to the “Trade Policy Review, a member of WIDE+.
- WIDE+ collaborated with CONCORD in response to the new EU the multi-annual strategy “Trade Policy Review”: March, 2021: https://concordeurope.org/resource/analysis-of-the-eu-trade-strategy-review/.
- WIDE+ response to non-paper by 10 EU member states around promoting gender equality through trade policy: a step back for women’s rights, November 2020, read here.
- WIDE+ and Action Aid’s contribution to the EU Trade Strategy Review, September 2020.
- New (Dutch) publication from WIDE+, WO=MEN, Action Aid and Both Ends on how through trade policy women have become a bargain deal for large transnational companies, 2019, read here.
- WIDE+ Briefing Paper on Transforming EU Trade Policy to protect Women’s Rights (EN, DE, ES, FR) 2018, https://wp.me/p2KSLS-Pb
- CONCORD-WIDE+ Joint Position Paper calls on the EU to move beyond voluntary gender articles in EU trade agreements, https://wp.me/p2KSLS-MA.
- WIDE+ Gender and Trade WG drafted a briefing paper on gender in EU trade agreements for the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, finalized April 2018.
- WIDE+ WG Gender and Trade Position Paper, published July 2017
- WIDE+ together with more than 160 Civil Society associations called on Governments to reject the WTO Declaration on “Women’s Economic Empowerment”, December 2017
General Resources Gender Just Trade
A collection of worldwide resources can be found at the Gender and Trade Coalition, including webinars (WIDE+ is a steering group member of the GTC). Briefing papers that are recommended to give an introduction:
- Action Aid position paper, “Towards Gender-Just Trade, 2018”.
- Dyana Kanagasingam, ARROW paper, “What does the new TPPA means for women in Developing Countries?”
- ITforChange and DAWN: gender just trade principles in the digital economy
Older WIDE Resources
EU-India Free Trade Agreement: People’s Lives and Livelihoods at Threat!, published in 2010. WIDE Policy Paper on EU-India Free Trade Agreement. Edited by Barbara Specht. WIDE paper on EU-India FTA 2010
Trade Liberalisation, Gender Equality, Policy Space: the case of the contested EU-India FTA, published in 2009. In the context of the multidimensional crises and the restructuring of economic and political power relations, a fresh look at trade policies between the EU and India and at the nexus of social justice, gender, development and trade is necessary. Christa Wichterich and Kalyani Menon-Sen explore social and gender justice dimensions of the EU-India Free Trade Agreement negotiations: EU INDIA 09 WIDE.
A critical review of the Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment for the Free Trade Agreement between the EU and the Republic of India from a gender perspective, published in 2009. Download WIDE SIA Briefing .
‘Trade – A Driving Force for Jobs and Women´s Empowerment? Focus on China and India’, published in 2009. Christa Wichterich counters the mainstream argument that trade has the potential to be a driving force for jobs and for women´s empowerment. Download Gender_and_Trade FES
“Fierce, Fair and Unfair Competition: the EU-China trade and its gender implications”, Updated Version, Christa Wichterich, WIDE June 2008: WIDE EU CHINA – FINAL 2008
EU Bilateral and Regional Free Trade Agreements: bringing women to the centre of the debate, WIDE November 2007
The consultation analysed the objectives of the EU trade strategy in relation to development, poverty eradication and its impact on women´s rights, entitlements and livelihoods. These were examined in relation to the current trade negotiations in Asia, the Middle East, Ukraine and Central America. This report of the consultation provides a good overview of the processes and a gender analysis of the potential impact in different geographical regions. Interestingly, although the negotiations are at different stages in these regions the case studies indicate many similarities in relation to the potential impact on women of free trade agreements: To download: WIDEEUBILATERAL2007.
Economic growth without social justice: EU-India trade negotiations and their implications for social development and gender justice´, Christa Wichterich, WIDE, November 2007. To download: WIDE EU INDIA NEW 2007.
Competition, the EU-China Trade Race and its Gender Implications’, Christa Wichterich, WIDE, February 2007. To download: EU-China 2007.
WIDE Briefing Paper: “Gender Indicators for monitoring Trade Agreements”, Irene van Staveren, February 2007. To download Staveren gender indicators feb 2007.
Factsheets EU Free trade agreements and their impact on women:
-Naty Bernadino, ‘Gender Implications of the European Union – ASEAN Free Trade Agreement WIDE Factsheet’, November 2007. EU-ASEAN gender factsheet2007
-Tessa Mackenzie, ‘Gender Implications of the European Union – Central America association agreement WIDE Factsheet’, November 2007. EU-CA gender factsheet2007.
-Oksana Kisselyova, ‘Gender Implications of the European Union - Ukraine trade Relations WIDE Factsheet’, November 2007. EU-Ukraine gender factsheet2007
WIDE-FEMNET paper: ‘Trade integration and foreign direct investment from a gender perspective, including recommendations for the EU-Africa strategic partnership for Africa’s Development“, Roselynn Musa from FEMNET and Bénédicte Allaert from WIDE, November 2007, WIDEFEMNETPAPER2007.